HOW TO FIND YOUR WRITING STYLE TO MAKE YOU SPARKLE
I am sitting on the couch with a glass of red wine and feel really sophisticated. Plus the laptop on my lap and I feel like a professional writer. Pretty good feeling, ya know.
Today I want to talk about ways to find your writing style or voice, however you want to call it. It is quite a struggle to figure that out. I still don’t consider myself as a top writer but I have found ways that work for me and that also improve my writing.
1. Podcast For Yourself
I have never heard of someone doing this but it is so helpful for me and helped to overcome my struggle with procrastination and anxiety (link) with blogging.
For some posts this way of doing it will not work out well but if you are talking about feelings in your blog post, this is the way to do it.
It is basically like a podcast just for yourself. You don’t publish it (you can if you feel comfortable with that) or show it to anyone.
- Choose a topic you want to talk about and just start talking. I repeat, just start talking. Don’t think about it, say what comes to your mind into your audio recorder on your phone.
- Grab your laptop and type what you have said while listening to your podcast. Don’t judge yourself, and just type it out. You don’t have to form grammatically right sentences or correct yourself right away, we are gonna do that in the next step. Leave out the mmmh’s; I say them way too often.
- Correct what you have just typed. Form headlines and all the stuff that is recommended for a good blog post (love the Yoast PlugIn for this).
And here we go: You have found your writing voice/style. Congratulations!
2. Email To A Friend
This is another way of doing it which I personally don’t use but if it helps you, do it.
Imagine you are writing an email to your best friend. Or that you are talking to your best friend. Tell her or him about your topic and what it is about.
This way your post will sound pretty personal and chatty.
3. Natural Writer
You are naturally a good writer and can express your feelings the best way through writing? Man, I am so jealous my friend.
My advice: Just start typing. Don’t overthink because that will destroy your writing. You can trust your writing skills.
4. Original Paper And Pen
You are a little old school like me? Well, then we are gonna do it this way. By the way, it is a little more time intense but it is totally worth it.
- Take a pen and a piece of paper and write your blog post down. You can scratch out however much you like. It doesn’t matter if your paper looks messy afterwards. Don’t worry about the spelling; your laptop will do this task for you.
- The second step is to just copy what you have written down on your laptop.
Even though I don’t write my whole blog post with pen and paper, I still make notes to sort my thoughts. This is also an awesome way to fill one of your insanely cute notebooks. You need other ways to fill them? Here are 11 unique ways.
How did you find your writing style/voice? Have you done it in another way? Let me know in the comments!
Have a wonderful day!